Despite having plotted out Warden’s Call, I recently got a brainwave on Dreams of Earth (or whatever I’ll call it tomorrow) that fixed the problems I’d been having since losing the manuscript in the Great Disk Death of 2011. This has led to a resurgence of actual writing in that story, and replotting of the novel, fixing a few plot issues while I’m at it.
In the last two weeks (which sounds like two weeks, but really means two days, since that’s really all I spent on it due to Real Life issues), I’ve added about 2000 words to the book, bringing the total word count to 4700/100000. Not a great deal of progress, no, but progress it is, and I’ll take it.
Note for those who haven’t heard: Most of my actual work on stories gets done during the summer. During the school year, I tend to spend most of my creative energy in my teaching, and when I sit down to write, I end up staring at a screen more often than not. I’m working on that… but in the meantime, I write primarily during the summer months, in the moments in between caring for my daughter. Fortunately as she gets older, it gets easier to write while she amuses herself, but she still needs me a fair amount. Still, having fun and feeding my kid takes a lot less creative energy than teaching 160 kids who don’t want to be there. So I get lots more done. I’m also less guilty about asking the wife for time off to go write elsewhere when I’ve spent the day with the Bun.
Anyway, that’s today. I hope to get more work done tonight, but we’ll see how long it takes me to get my daughter to bed.